Sunday, January 8, 2012

The first 48 hours...


I can't believe that this is such a big life event that I feel compelled to blog some more about the papi....but it is! I'm sure you all have been on pins and needles waiting for an update as well! :) So, Friday morning, after my breakdown - I took the girls to my mom's house(sans papi) so I could go into the office for a little bit. This was when I broke down the entire way there (my eyes literally hurt all day after this breakdown..it was that bad!) and broke down a little to my mom when I got there. Rhodes saw me (Mother of the year here!) and we tried talking to her and talking about all of the "big girl" things she would get to do b/c we were saying goodbye to the papi. She is her Mama's daughter (and daddy's!) and does not want to see anyone hurt and I think it really got to her. (even though I am not proud of crying in front her - don't like to do that!) The girls stayed there for a few hours and then I took them to lunch at Chick-fil-a and to the bookstore (Barnes and Noble - their favorite!) to buy Rhodes a "Big Girl" gift for her to sleep with. I kept telling her how proud I was of her and implying we were giving up the papi that night - but not going into details for fear it would hit her hard and the meltdowns would begin. We finished our day/night with activities and dinner out and she went to bed that night -for the first time in probably 3 years - papi-less. She had a little bit of a hard time falling asleep (I checked on them at 8 pm and she was officially asleep) and didn't hear another peep from her until she came in our room at 6:30. (Pretty early for this house - but I will take it if that gets us through!) Day 2 was another fun day - took the girls to Catch Air and had a fun family day - unfortunately, there were several mentions of the papi, but I think they were just out of habit when she got tired for her nap (which we have also, unfortunately, skipped for 3 days - not ready to go there!) as the subject dropped before it even started. Last night was a sad night - she went to bed fine (after a few mentions after bedtime) and even looked for it a little bit, but I just tried to ignore/drop the subject before she got worked up and upset. She was so tired at bedtime that she fell right to sleep without it, but I put the monitor in their room and heard her wake up whimpering for it a few times -until, finally, she woke up so sad - bawling - and just missing it. Not crying for it or throwing a fit, but just kind of in mourning of her long lost papi friend. :) She came in my room and I held her tight and she laid down on me and calmed down almost immediately and that was it. I have to say I am SO proud of my littlest princess for how brave and strong she has been throughout this. Personally, I have a slightly addictive personality and I can't imagine how hard it is to give up something cold turkey that you have had every day for at least 3 years....and something that comforted you when you're sad and got you to sleep, etc. I am so so relieved, ecstatic and stress-free now that we have made such progress though - I didn't realize how much it had stressed me out and weighed me down lately and how much happier/loud and talkative/tantrum-free (well, maybe not free, but close!) our house has been the last 2.5 days! :) I know that this is not fully over, but I am so grateful for where we are now, compared to Friday! Rhodes is loving her new role as the "big girl" in our household and we are all feeling more and more excited by the day about our newest family addition coming in less than 6 weeks!!!

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones