Saturday, December 6, 2008

Packing on the lbs

Phew! Yesterday was a doozie for the Patrick family! :) It started off with a morning trip with me and my girls to go shopping! Let's just say it did not go so well and we pretty much turned around as soon as we got there (well, as soon as I got them both out of their carseats, into the stroller, into the store, to the dressing room, and then pretty much had to run out - Rhodes, especially, was not having it!). We got home and pretty soon after I had to take Rhodes to the doctor for her two month check up. Boy, is my little (ha!) girl growing!! Her weight was (hold your breath!) 13 lbs 10 oz - that is almost up 6 lbs in almost 8 weeks (since her two week check up - although it was a few days before she was actually 2 weeks). Unbelievable! She is in the 97%! What a little (precious) chunk! Since I am nursing her, the doctor just said that breastmilk can be like cream compared to milk! Her heigh was 23 1/4 (90%) and head was 15 3/4 inches (75%). I really could not get over her weight but I didn't think too much of it b/c I remember Ali always being in the high ranges as well (and I look back at her pictures and those precious cheeks!). When I got home, I compared their 2 week report cards, to find that Ali actually only weighed 11 lbs 14 oz - 75% (and I thought SHE was a chunk!!!), 23 " long (and I thought SHE was tall!) and they had the same percentile head. I guess Ryan and I just have BIG, healthy babies (with big brains!). Ha!! I'm thinking that part of this may have to do with the fact that Rhodes eats pretty much every 2 hours (start to start) during the day so I may try to spread that out - not that the doctor said there was anything wrong with it - she just said we could do every 3-4 hours now, which would be fine by me! :) Rhodes got 6 poor little shots and was such a trooper. I did not cry this time like I did with Ali, mainly b/c of Rhodes' response. Her face got so sad and hurt when the shots started and of course poor little baby cried, but pretty much as soon as it was over, she stopped. Again, shocking to me, b/c her big sister would wail from the start of the shots and the whole way out of the office! Their different personalities show every day and, at this point, I think we have one high maintenance baby and one laid back baby. We shall see though. I often hear that the 2nd child tends to be laid back - hmmmm, I'm not sure my family would say the same about me? As a 2nd child myself, I think I am a little bit of both - very high maintenance and overdramatic at times (I'm not proud of this but I am also not going to pretend like I'm not!), but I think I can be laid back about a lot of things too - so you just never know with the 2nd child!

Anyway, almost as soon as we walked in the door to relief Ashley from playing with Ali, Ashley was telling me how Ali had been acting strange (got a blanket and just put it over her head and sat there - very odd!) and all of a sudden, Ali looked at us and started throwing up!! AHHHHH!! This is the 3rd time I have seen Ali throw up and it terrified me just as much as the first. Overdramatic Jamie's first response is to want to take her to the emergency room - which is pretty much insane I realize now! Anyway, that was just the first of a very sick/lethargic night and many tears for her Mama. She finally stopped and went to bed last night and is feeling better today (not getting sick but extremely worn down and warm). This is probably the hardest thing for me as a Mom, having a sick child. Thank goodness (knock on wood) I have not had to experience it too often so far as a Mother - although I am sure we will have plenty more of these moments in our many years to come! Today we have a VERY full day and we have already decided to skip our first event of the day. We have another big day tomorrow and are going to see Santa twice, so I hope our little Princess #1 is feeling a lot better and I pray that neither Rhodes nor I come down with it!! We are washing sheets and scrubbing the house today to try to prevent this!! Have a great weekend!

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones